GIS Day Planning Committee Meeting Notes
February 9, 2012
- Trae Cooper
- Heather Kelley
- Pat Kowta
- Kevin Lacefield
We covered two topics of the three that were on the agenda. The review of the survey results will take place on the March 8th meeting.
Define Roles and Responsibilities
The first topic to be discussed was defining and assigning of roles and responsibilities. We created 5 positions to oversee certain planning activities and two co-chairs to ensure dates and meetings are happening according to schedule. The role of the coordinators is not necessarily to do all of the work, but to ensure that the necessary work is understood, assigned, and completed. Here are the roles and responsibilities with assigned person(s). We still have three coordinators to assign (Map Gallery, Student Outreach, Venue Planning); if you are interested then please email Trae and Kevin.Co-Chairs (Trae Cooper & Kevin Lacefield)
- Responsibilities include: Scheduling and running the planning meetings, being the coordinator on the day of the event, coordinating sponsors, update user community
Marketing/Press (Heather Kelley)
- Responsibilities include: Coordinating all Announcements, Email/Web updates, Graphic Design, and Press Releases
Presentations/Demonstrations (Pat Kowta)
- Responsibilities include: Coordinating the scheduling and finding of presentations and demonstrations for GIS Day
Map Gallery (TBD)
- Responsibilities include: Coordinating the collecting, displaying, and judging of the Professional Maps and Student Map Contests
Student Outreach (TBD)
- Responsibilities include: Coordinating school participation including event attendance and activities
Venue Planning (TBD)
- Responsibilities include: Coordinating the location of events, proper sign-age and equipment (projector, internet access, power cords, etc.), and setup/break down.
User Group Members
- In the case of an impasse where the GIS Day Planning Committee is unable to come to an agreement on a particular decision, the following mechanism will be implemented.
- The planning committee will collectively create a poll, currently through Survey Monkey, listing the options that are currently being debated.
- This poll will be sent out to the entire User Group community.
- The User Group will have one week to complete the survey.
- The option which receives the greater number of votes will become the course of action for the planning committee.
Calendar out all activities for the year
The second subject discussed at the meeting was regarding the scheduling of important planning dates. There will need to be additional dates added, but these will be created by the section leads.
College Map Contest
Week of March 12th - College Map Contest Announcement sent to Colleges
October 15th - Submittal Date
October 22nd - Judging and notification of winners will be completed by.
May 1st - Save the Date Card
September 27th - Class participation commitment date
October 1st - All participants confirmed
June 29th - Marketing style guide, theme, and website design completed
October 8th - Final marketing material completed
April 12th - Final site selection
In the course of our discussion the subject of the SCWA scholarship for the college map contest came up. We discussed if it would be better to break the $500 into three separate prizes ($300 for first, $150 for second, and $50 for third). While the group thought this would be an appropriate distribution the ultimate decision will be for the SCWA to decide.
- Heather will be checking with SCWA to confirm 2012 Scholarship and if an option would exist to break the scholarship money up to cover all three college prizes. (see notes above under the Ad-Hoc Discussion section)
- We need to fill the remaining three lead positions (Map Gallery, Student Outreach, Venue Planning)
|< Prev||Next >|